วันอังคารที่ 22 พฤศจิกายน พ.ศ. 2554

Dig Yourself Out

"Adversity introduces a man to himself".
  
Have you ever felt like you fell into a hole and couldn't dig your way out? Did you bury yourself with pity or question your ability to come out on top? I remember eleven years ago being buried in distress after being laid off. I was knee-deep in debt and struggling to stay in graduate school. And subsequently, I faced a physical challenge that was about to alter my life. I perceived this as a dismal future for myself. I was at the lowest point in my life and too ashamed to let anyone know what was happening to me. I buried myself day after day in fear, doubt, hopeless and despair. One day I decided that I had had enough; I began shoveling my way out of the pit.

Here's how I began to dig myself out.
 
Focused On The Positive
I needed to find a way to shift my focus off of my problems so I turned to journalling. Every morning when I woke up I found something to be thankful for. I countered every negative aspect of my situation with a more positive one. I once wrote about how thankful I was that I didn't have to go to a job that I hated anymore. That didn't stop the bills from coming, but it changed my attitude. I was able to shift my focus on to what I really wanted and how I was going to get it. There was no more time for pessimism. I had work to do.
 
Defied The Odds
I challenged myself to take a risk and not work a full-time job. I went to school full-time and waited for a job in my field of study. I had no money saved, but faith the size of a mustard seed. I buried defeat and tirelessly dug in with all I had. My circumstances eventually changed and my loss imminently became my gain. I finished graduate school, I didn't lose my home or car, my health was restored and I got my dream job. I was on my way to fulfilling my purpose.
 
No More Excuses
I had plenty of reasons for why I should give up on my dream. But, I couldn't find a good one. I knew those excuses could someday come back to haunt me. And I didn't want to live with any regrets. Excuses can be an easy way out, but deep down you know you are denying yourself the chance to see what you are capable of achieving. 
 
Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. But each trouble can be a stepping stone. What happens to you isn't nearly as important as how you react to it. You can get out of the deepest pits just by not giving up!

Transition Coaching

Shake it off, and dig yourself out!

Dig Yourself Out
Dig Yourself Out

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น